The Adirondack Coast GeoTrail
With year-round festivals, delicious dining options, special events at cache locations, and affordable lodging, visitors can make their trip to the Adirondack Coast a memorable and convenient geocation!
Embark on an outdoor adventure
Discover scenic trails and unique attractions on the Adirondack Coast GeoTrail. Travelers will discover over 35 cache locations throughout the region including the shores of Lake Champlain, historic sites, farmland, a chasm, beautiful State Parks and much more! Geocaching is a unique and fun way to explore the region with the help of GPS technology. Geocachers will download a passport, receive GPS coordinates and begin their journey to discover the Adirondack Coast.
The Adirondack Coast GeoTrail Passport
- Log onto goadirondack.com/geo to download a passport and retrieve the coordinates and location information for the geocaches.
- Geocaches are awarded points based on a ranking system of difficulty. Geocachers must find enough caches to award them 100 points.
- Once a Cache is found enter the date and code found in the cache onto the passport log sheet.
- Bring in your passport to the address listed below once you obtain 100 points to receive the special edition coin.
Adirondack Coast Visitors Bureau
7061 Route 9
Plattsburgh, NY 12901 USA
The Adirondack Coast Visitors Bureau is open Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 5:00pm. If you are dropping off your passport when the office is closed please leave your passport in the mailbox on the outdoor kiosk and the geocoin will be shipped to you.
More About Geocaching
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
How is Geocaching done?
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:
1. User must register for a free basic membership at geocaching.com
2. Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page
3. Enter your postal code and click "search"
4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name
5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into a GPS device
6. Use the GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache
7. Sign the logbook, collect the treasure and return the geocache to its original location
8. Share geocaching stories and photos online